Friday, March 14, 2014

FitDog Friday - Battle of the Bulge Part I

Over half of the pets in the U.S. are overweight, and two of those live in my house. Nailah as you may remember is on a weight loss journey. I have cut back her food and increased her diet, all under her Vet's supervision of course. It's been almost two months now since we started and let me tell you, it hasn't been easy.

Nailah's begging has increased ten fold and it makes my parents feel extremely guilty about not being able to treat her. She has now taken to crying when we sit down at meals and it's gotten so bad that I've felt the need to give her a plate of veggies so she'll be somewhat sated while we eat. 

I have a feeling Nailah doesn't think this pet diet thing is fair. 
Her cat sister gets to eat her normal amount 
while she has to cut back and exercise more!

Even though it's been hard there have been results. She has been losing weight at a good pace and she seems happier for it. The increased exercise time helps her get all that pent up energy out and being an Australian Shepherd she has plenty to get rid of. 

Despite the good results we are getting I'm anxious to get back to her normal feeding amount. Her desperate attempts at getting snacks are driving us all up the wall so the end of this diet can't come soon enough. 

Vega the black cat currently eats Science Diet but I've found 
her to be a pretty picky eater. I'm hoping she'll like 
Hill's Metabolic Advanced Weight Solution.

As I mentioned at the start of this, Nailah isn't the only pet in the house that needs to lose weight. I have two cats, one a senior named Cloud that I got from the shelter 14 years ago, and the other is a 5 year old black kitty named Vega that I got from the Humane Society. 

Vega used to live with me when I was a college student but after having had her for a year I developed an allergy to cats. I tried dealing with it for a few months but it got so bad that I decided to let my parents take her. 

Nailah giving Vega the stink eye since she is 
getting off easy with her cat diet. 

When I dropped her off at their house she was nice and trim, though she's always been one of those cats that wants to eat throughout the day. I didn't want her to gain weight so while she lived with me I filled her bowl in the morning with the amount she had to eat and never refilled it til the next day. 

My parents also free fed their cats (they had Cloud since he is technically the family cat and my mom owns a tabby they found half drowned on the streets named Tigra) but they sadly went about it a different way. Whenever the bowls were empty they'd refill them.

Vega exploring the cool tote Hill's sent us (we'll have a giveaway 
here so you guys can get one that's just as awesome!). 
Apparently Vega is just as eager to start the 
Hill's Metabolic Weight Solution trial as I am!

I tried getting my parents to adhere to some sort of feeding guidelines but they just didn't want to comply. For my parents food is love and the cats knew that. They knew that if they meowed long enough that bowl would get filled and they'd get to eat their little kitty hearts out. Tigra and Cloud were fine free feeding this way but Vega doubled in size. 

Now that I'm living back at home I've tried getting them to stop feeding her so much, but it's been near impossible. My mom and I got into a big argument over it, it ended with her saying that one diet in the house was enough and that I should just let the poor cat be. 

Finally I gave up, resigning myself to the fact that when I moved out I'd take Vega with me and put her back on a normal feeding schedule. That is until I heard about a new food called Hill's Metabolic Advanced Weight Solution. I heard about the new diet cat food at a Blog Paws twitter chat. Even though I had been reluctant to try a diet food with Nailah I was willing to try it with Vega, seeing how it would be impossible for me to get her on a rigid schedule like Nailah. 

The Hill's tote tells us to expect something different with their 
Metabolic Weight Solution cat food. We are hoping she'll be one of 
the 88% of pets who lost weight in the first two 
months of using this prescription pet food.

A few weeks after the twitter chat we discovered there was a campaign and we thankfully were chosen to participate. Over the new few months Vega will be solely on Hill's Metabolic Advanced Weight Solution in an attempt to try and lose 3 lbs. 


Nailah just had to doggy photobomb this picture. 
I guess she's reminding Vega that she's still 
running things around here!

There will also be an awesome giveaway that I will be having in early April where you can win your own trial of Hill's Metabolic Advanced Weight Solution and some awesome coupons and a pretty sweet tote bag! Details on the giveaway and how you can enter will be coming up soon, so make sure to follow us on Twitter, Pinterest, and Facebook for updates! 

This post is sponsored by Hill’s. I am being compensated for helping spread the word about Hill's® Prescription Diet® Metabolic Advanced Weight Solution, but The Adventures of Puppy & Cat only shares information we feel is relevant to our readers. Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc. is not responsible for the content of this article. 




23 comments:

Kate Obrien said...

Parents can be a real problem...even when you are an adult. I know it took some health scares to get them in line with Naliah, maybe you can use the same tactic with the cat. Cats are susceptible to all of the same weight-related illnesses and troubles as dogs. Anyways, good job with Nailiah, glad the weight is coming off!

Buddy TheDawg said...

Good luck with that new diet for the cat. I have a relative that got an automatic feeder for the cat and used a weight reduction food to get their pet to lose weight. That cat has slimmed down impressively. Mind you, it knows exactly when the automatic feeder will release the food again, and she sits in front of it until it dispenses her kibble. Smart cat.

Tenacious Little Terrier said...

Good luck! It's funny how different pets are. Mr. N would probably be perfectly fine free feeding and Onyxx would be twice his current weight if we let him do that.

Dog Adventures said...

Good luck! I also have the same (not as bad!) issues with my family and their want to give Kate more food than she should have! Have had to stay firm and say no to my family which can be hard but in the end better for Kate's health and training which means she is trim and can go on all our adventures! I hope your cat slims down on the new diet and keep us posted how you go!

HuskyCrazed said...

Well even though it has been rough, I am glad to hear you have been getting results! Dieting is never fun so I hear ya Nailah!!!!

Great post!

ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

Beth said...

My cat has had similar weight struggles! Our old vet would put him on steroids for any issues he had, so he turned into a little chunk--15 lbs. after being only 8 when I brought him home from the shelter (which was also not a healthy weight for him). He has stress-related bladder problems and the extra weight did nothing to help him with that. He is on a mostly wet food diet for the bladder issues, so all the extra water in his diet has helped him shed a lot of weight, but he can't find a happy medium. He either loses too much or gains to much. Good luck with the diet! Even though we can't try the Hills since he's on a prescription urinary tract kibble, I'm curious to see how it works out for Vega!

Emma said...

We are on that campaign too, but on the site not trying it. It sounds like a wonderful food. The only pet we have that is slightly chubby is cat bro Bert, but he is on a special diet, so we can't try it.

browndogcbr said...

Hi Y'all!

Oh my vet had my Human reduce my food ration, but not change food. I still exercise as much, if not more. Next Friday I'll tell the rest of the story!

Y'all come by now,
Hawk aka BrownDog

nailahbone said...

Yes, they really can be! :( I tried explaining all of that to them, about the health issues, but for some reason they think excess weight on a cat isn't as bad as on a dog. I've actually met a lot of people that think cats so be overweight! They say they're cuter that way.


Thank you! :) I'm excited to be almost done with her weight loss plan. The key is keeping that weight off which I plan on doing.


Thanks for stopping by!

nailahbone said...

Thanks! :) Vega's vet actually mentioned that, it was a very interesting idea! I dunno how well that'd work with the three cats (Cloud is kind of a bully about food) but it'd be interesting to see.


Lol! Yes, cat's are very clever. Especially when food is involved!


Thanks for dropping by!

nailahbone said...

Yup, it's true! :) Some animals also put on weight much easier. They're so similar to us!


Thanks for stopping by!

nailahbone said...

It's tough, isn't it? :( My parents are very stubborn and would sneak food when I wasn't around, after Nailah's health scare they got better but it's been harder for them to comply with Vega.


Thank you! We will certainly keep you guys updated on the progress! :)

nailahbone said...

Yeah, same here! :) It's all been worth it to have her stop waking up gasping for air.


Thanks for dropping in! :)

nailahbone said...

Aw, sorry to hear that! :( Nailah has had some UTI issues in the past, not fun. It must be very challenging keeping him at a good weight, I hope he does find that happy medium. :)


Thanks! We are excited to share our results with everyone!

nailahbone said...

Very cool! :) Yes, it really does sound like a good food. I'm really eager to try it and see how it works for us. I'm surprised you have any even slightly chubby pets, your mom seems so good at keeping everyone in check! :O


Thanks for stopping by!

nailahbone said...

I know! I've been dreading getting her to lose weight because I can't exactly take her to a park to run around (can you imagine how that'd go?).


Thank you! We plan on updating frequently on our weight loss!

nailahbone said...

Nailah's vet suggested a low calorie food but I decided against it. He's pretty good about working with me so we found a good way to go about it. With Vega I feel a food will work much better. She's a pretty lazy cat and with my parents already upset that Nailah gets less food I can't imagine I could get them to feed Vega less. :(


Very excited to hear your story, Hawk! :) Thanks for stopping by!

JoAnn Stancer said...

Good luck with the diets, nellie is on a diet too that isn't going so well. Keep up the good work.

nailahbone said...

Thanks! :) Aw, sorry to hear it's not going well for Nellie. Hopefully things will turn around soon!

Misaki said...

You poor things, hope the diet isn't too horrific!

Cathy Keisha said...

Whoa! I’m in that campaign too only I’m not one of the dieting ones. Best of luck to Vega. I hope the food works cos I don’t work to be telling people about it if it doesn’t.

nailahbone said...

Are you? :) That's cool!


I'm hoping the food works too but seeing how many folks have had good results with it I'm feeling very optimistic! We will be posting lots of updates so feel free to come back and see how we're doing! :)

nailahbone said...

Vega says she's grateful for you sympathy! XD Lucky for her she doesn't have to cut back on her food as much as would on a traditional diet. :) I think she'll be much happier than Niles was when she was trying to lose weight!