Monday, March 24, 2014

Monday Mischief - Nailah and the Ferrets

Ferrets behave completely different than I thought they would. I always assumed these little weasels would be aloof, skittish, and even somewhat aggressive (their little sharp teeth and claws ready to tear at whoever crossed them). Since having Wheezy and Mocha in my home I have come to realize that they are the total opposite. These little guys are sweet, fearless and mischievous. Very mischievous!


Nailah and the ferrets get along great! There are times when 
Niles wants to herd them but over all they interact nicely.

When the pair came to stay with us I was very careful about letting Nailah or the cats near them. I was afraid that they'd scare the ferrets and cause them to stress out, what with them being so much bigger than them. Eventually I did let Niles visit them when they were in their cage and after a few visits I noticed that Mocha and Wheezy were not intimated by her size at all. In fact the pair would run towards Niles when she'd appear and give her kisses through the bars of their crate.

After witnessing this a few times I started letting Nailah sniff them while I stood and held them. I was surprised at how gentle she was with them, sniffing them gingerly as she put her front paws on me for support. Her stub would go crazy as she examined the critters, wagging at an incredible speed! 


Nailah giving Wheezy the ferret a sniff. You can see Cloud the grumpy 
old cat in the corner watching. The cats aren't fans of the ferrets!

After a couple more of these types of visits I decided to try letting the ferrets run around my living room while I had Niles on lead. I thought that the critters would run away from Nailah as soon as I set them on the floor but they actually wanted to interact with her. They would sniff her and then scamper off, seemingly inviting her to play. 


Nailah trying to play with Mocha the ferret. I never thought dogs and 
ferrets would get along well. I'm glad they can all play together!

I decided that based on her tender interactions with the pair and the ferrets willingness to play with her that it'd be alright to let her play off lead with them. I of course was always watching their interactions and ready to intervene if things got too rough. 


Nailah trying to figure out where the ferrets are hiding. 
These guys will climb into or under anything!

After playing with Nailah for a few moments the ferrets were off exploring. They climbed over boxes, under the couches, into whatever things were opened, they were everywhere! I never realized how agile these creatures were, or how mischievous. I found myself "ferret proofing" the living room only to find that they could weasel their way into whatever I'd blocked off. After a few rounds of this I finally managed to seal everything off only to find that they'd turned their attention to the cats. 


Vega the cat watching the ferrets from atop her kitty condo. 
The cat's don't like interacting with Wheezy or Mocha.

I had figured the cats wouldn't make any attempts at eating the ferrets while Nailah was out and I was right. They watched the critters from afar but never tried getting close to them. Then Wheezy, the more fearless of the pair, spotted them. He made a beeline straight towards them and in a moment the cats were hissing and retreating in terror. I ran off to grab Wheezy, fearing the cats would hurt him, but in all honesty I don't think anything would have happened. The cats were crying to be let out and obviously too scared of the ferret to try anything. 

After the letting the cats out, and having a good laugh, I decided it was time to put the critters back in their crate. Niles was bummed to have her playmates carted off but honestly I was happy to have a reprieve from their mischief. Who knew such small creatures could be such a handful!





23 comments:

Oz theTerrier said...

Hmmm, I didn't realize ferrets were so friendly. I knew they were mischievous - it sounds like they were two handfuls! BOL So glad they all interacted well with each other.

Buddy TheDawg said...

I did not think ferrets and dogs and cats could get along. You have proven me wrong. Thanks for posting!

Flea said...

Omigoodness! Ferrets have a sweet tooth, too! My friend's ferret was always in the trash can, digging out her Dr. Pepper cans. He'd find my purse and grab my lipstick. They're adorable and quick!

Misaki said...

who knew dogs and ferrets could be friends!

annstaub said...

You describe them perfectly! Definitely fearless and mischievous! Shiner and our ferret were very good friends with each other. The ferret actually used to play very roughly with her. I wish I had it on video!

Kate Obrien said...

Good girl Nailah

Tenacious Little Terrier said...

Nailah is so good! Mr. N and ferrets would not be a good combination.

katherine dutcher said...

wow I cant believe how good sh eis with them. I don't think I could een trust my pugs with ferrets
retro rover

Roxy the traveling dog said...

That's great Nailah had so much fun with them.

HuskyCrazed said...

Hahaha!!! Sounds very ferret to me! BOL I love those little guys!!! And if I did not have dogs and cats already (and so many of them) I would definitely own ferrets!
Such cool little animals!
ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

Emma said...

Wow, gutsy! We could never be near them as we are so fast, within a second I would have one in my mouth dead. We are serious hunters, my sister Katie would be allowed as she isn't a hunter type. Have fun with your temporary zoo :)

Terry Cramer said...

This is interesting. They seem like very special ferrets, and Niles a very very special doggie. It was so cute to see them playing. Are they foster ferrets ? I have to admit I had an experience with a ferret who bit me. I was visiting a friend who had 2 of them!

nailahbone said...

Me neither! :) These guys are actually very sweet but yes, they are definitely a handful! Thanks for stopping by! :)

nailahbone said...

Me neither! :) I thought things would go awry but honestly they all get along great! Thanks for stopping by!

nailahbone said...

They do?! That I did not know! I figured they liked salty things since they are carnivores, never imagined them going after soda or lip stick!

nailahbone said...

Gives us hope for the mankind, right? :) Thanks for stopping by!

nailahbone said...

Thanks! :) Aw, that must've been cute to see! I know you don't have video but do you have pics of them playing together? Would love to see them! :)

nailahbone said...

Thanks! :) She's a pretty good girl (most of the time).

nailahbone said...

Aw, thanks! :) She does herd them but she's pretty good when I tell her to back off. Thanks for stopping by!

nailahbone said...

"That's so ferret!" Should be a phrase! XD I'm not surprised you'd own one, I can totally see the appeal. Thanks for stopping by! :)

nailahbone said...

Yeah, I was pretty surprised too! I thought she'd be too rough with them but overall she's great! I do keep a close eye on them but everything has gone smoothly thus far. :) Thanks for stopping by!

snoopy@snoopysdogblog said...

What a pawsome play date!

That would never happen in my house - doh! My Mum would be worried that they look far to squirrel like to be safe with me..... :)

Hope you're having a fun day

Your pal Snoopy :)

nailahbone said...

Thank you! :) I can see how you'd confuse these guys for squirrels or rats! Also they're not hard to squish so I'm not surprised your mom would be worried to let you at it!