Thursday, March 20, 2014

Thoughtless Thursday - Ferret Houseguests

It seems we are a popular pet sitting destination as of late! As you may recall I pet sat my friends cute dachshund puppy earlier this year. Even though it had been a while since I'd worked with a puppy I wasn't at all concerned about watching over my charge. I've been around them enough to know what to watch out for and how to handle their behavior. Dogs are my forte.


Nailah the dog interacting with the ferrets for the first time. 
She is extremely anxious to play with them!

Now my other friend has had to fly out of the country and has left me with two ferrets. I do not know anything about ferrets. 

I am actually not too big on interacting with small animals, I fell they are more unpredictable than dogs or cats (probably because I don't know them as well). Growing up I had some hamsters but that was when I was about 3 years old. After they passed we never had small animals again, instead transitioning to cats. 

Since I never grew up around these furry critters I don't really feel that comfortable with them. Even though I was hesitant when my friend asked me for the favor I knew I'd have to pull through. When a friend is in need I want to help, even if it takes me out of my comfort zone. 


My two ferret charges. The white one is called Wheezy 
and the brown ferret is called Mocha.

The two ferrets will be staying with us for 10 days. So far things have gone well, they are very friendly and don't scratch or bite (my biggest worries). They actually enjoy being held and seem pretty low maintenance which I am very thankful for. My schedule has been kind of nuts lately so I really don't have time for another high maintenance charge like Nailah. 

Since we have 3 cats and Nailah I have set them up in the office/spare room. I figured they'd feel more relaxed in a closed off room, where they could nap without having to worry about prowling cats. 

I didn't want to introduce Nailah to them just yet, I was hoping to do a very slow and controlled introduction, but as you can see that didn't end up going as planned. As I was bringing in the cage she busted out of my room, thanks mom, and went nuts. She was whining and sniffing and she was wagging her stub so fast I thought it'd fall off! 


I don't know if dogs and ferrets are supposed to make 
good playmates but these two seemed to hit it off pretty well. 
Nailah is desperate to play with these ferrets!

I was concerned the ferrets would flip out since she was trying to poke her giant nose through the cage bars, but they actually didn't seem to mind. The white one, Wheezy, actually gave her a few licks and stayed right near her nose. Mocha, the older and smaller one, wasn't afraid either. After Wheezy gave Niles the OK she too went up to her schnauze and gave her some curious sniffs. 


For now Nailah will have to be content with dog and ferret jail visits.

Even though this first meeting went very well I'm still being very cautious. I don't think I'll let these guys roam free with Nailah and the cats out, but I might do a very controlled cage-less introduction if their mom says it's alright. For now Nailah will have to be content with these "jail visits".

If you guys have any suggestions on ferret care please let me know. Their mom left the States first thing this morning so I'm kind of flying blind. Also make sure to check back on Monday for what I'm sure will be a mischief filled post! 



19 comments:

HuskyCrazed said...

Oh ferrets!!!!! I LOVE ferrets!!!!! i am sorry I have no advice for you :/

My friends had ferrets when I was growing up, and they were always so much fun! If I didn't have dogs and cats, I would definitely own ferrets, they are very social loving pets! I always wanted one growing up, but my parents refused!!! BOL Grrrr to them!

Thanks for linking up with us today!

ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

Ruckus the Eskie said...

Well welcome wheezy and mocha to Thoughtless Thursday this week! Sounds like you had some fun ...can't wait to see what gets stirred up for this mischief monday!

annstaub said...

Aw how cute! I had 2 pet ferrets before. They are very mischievous little guys!

M. K. Clinton said...

I wouldn't have any idea what to do with a ferret. I definitely wouldn't let them out around Bentley or Pierre. They'd think I bought them a remote control toy! Yikes!

nailahbone said...

Do you? :) They seem like pretty fun critters so I'm not surprised you like them! My parents have been against any small pets since the hamsters so I wasn't really exposed to them. Thanks for stopping by! We are always happy to link up! :)

nailahbone said...

Thanks, Ruckus! :) I'm currently playing with them and Niles is dying of jealous on the other side of the door! I'm sure this next week will be very interesting and full of mischief! :)

nailahbone said...

She certainly is! :) She gets so worked up about playing with them that she cries whenever she gets near them!


No worries! We're just glad you stopped by! :)

nailahbone said...

Did you? :) I'm not surprised to hear they're mischievous, these guys are little firecrackers! I'm letting them out to play and they're running all over the place! XD


Thanks for stopping by! :)

nailahbone said...

That's my fear too. I worry Niles will play too rough with them so for now they've gotta be separate. It's pretty funny though, these guys seem fearless! :)


Thanks for dropping by!

Roxy the traveling dog said...

I had a ferret for a while years ago. Ripped the hell out of my carpet.

Jen K said...

I would have no idea what to do with ferrets! Kudos to you for taking that on for your friend! At least all the animals seem to accept each other's company - that would be my biggest worry.

Cathy Keisha said...

You should Google to see if dogs and ferrets should play together. TW loves ferrets. She’s never had one but when she stayed in NC, her neighbor had 2 and they used to come and visit. She used to give them raisins as a snack. they love to hide under things, especially TW’s skirt.

Emma said...

They are tricky pets from what I hear. Mom says they smell terrible, had to sit next to one once. I guess they could be fun for humans, I would just hunt them.

Jan K, Wag N Woof Pets said...

The pictures of Nailah with her nose to the cage are so cute! I don't know much about ferrets. I took a pet sitting course once and learned about them, but since I never put it into practice I've forgotten it all. Those two look really cute though....have fun!

Leah S. said...

aww ferrets how fun!!!!! I so wish I could babysit them. I have never even held one before but they seem so fun!

nailahbone said...

Oh my gosh, that doesn't sound like fun at all. These guys are pretty tame but they are very mischievous, I could see them getting into some big trouble if I didn't watch them like a hawk.


Thanks for stopping by and sorry bout the carpet! :{

nailahbone said...

Me neither! I'm still trying to figure out what they like and how best to interact with them. If my friend hadn't had a big emergency I don't think I would have agreed to watching them. They're very cute but they actually require a lot of time!


Thanks for stopping by! :)

nailahbone said...

I should! :) Nailah is desperate to play (or eat) them! Aw, that's very cute! :) These guys tried climbing up my pant leg yesterday!


Thanks for dropping by! :)

Misaki said...

I've never met a ferret before, daddy thinks they are cool.